- 1 large butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large shallot bulb
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 to 4 cups vegetable/chicken broth
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Cut butternuts in half and scoop out inside. Drizzle with olive oil and salt, place facing down on baking sheet, and bake for 40-50 minutes (until tender).
3. in a large soup pot, heat up a tablespoon olive oil until shimmering. Add the chopped shallot and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until the shallot has softened and is starting to turn golden on the edges (about 3 to 4 minutes). Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Transfer the contents to your stand blender.
4. Gently scoop the butternut squash flesh into your blender. Discard the tough skin. Add the maple syrup, nutmeg and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper to the blender, along with 3 cups broth. Blend on high.
5. Taste. Add another tablespoon of olive oil, butter, or a cup of broth and blend again.
6. Serve from blender or put back in pot to reheat.